It’s hard to believe that we are already packing up bags and headed back to a regular school routine! As classes get back into full swing, we wanted to share five life lessons to help kids get off to a smooth transition back to school.
- Find and Treasure Time: Make time for activities that bring you joy when the work gets overwhelming. Whether that’s coloring some of our new puzzles, reading, or playing legos, spending twenty minutes doing something that brings your child happiness each day can help relieve otherwise chronic stress.
- Patience is key: In our ever evolving world, kids are used to instant gratification by the quick response of technology. Keeping a good book tucked away in your kids backpack gives them a fun and educational activity to keep them occupied and engaged when having to be patient.
- A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned: Teaching kids to save their hard earned money helps them to make smarter financial decisions when they get older! Melissa & Doug has a useful “Decorate Your Own Piggy Bank.” to help you do just that. Not only is this product a fun art project, but it’s the perfect spring board to talk to your child about the importance of saving money.
- Cultivating Creativity: Problem solving is an essential skill that will help children grow into productive and creative adults. Help your child explore their imagination and creativity with some arts and crafts, play kitchen set, or outdoor toys. This month Melissa & Doug’s Sunny Patch line is 30% off at Duck Worth Wearing. Offer ends August 31st, 2016.
5. It’s Okay to be You: It’s easy when in the school atmosphere to feel the pressure to be just like everybody else. Encourage your child’s personality by helping them confidently make choices that express their individual giftedness while also making sure they are kind to those who show up to school who may also be as wonderfully unique as they are. Whether that’s through a funky pair of leggings, some socks with a taco print, or a shirt sporting a dinosaur. Perhaps picking up a card craft kit to make another child’s first day easier might help to encourage friendship. There are a lot of ways to be yourself, show kindness, and encourage the gift of individuality.
There are a lot of great tips for getting the school year off to a good start, but because we know how busy this time of year is we wanted to share our simple and important five. Stop in and we’ll help you find all the goodies and more featured above. Have a great start to your back to school adventure!
Children delight in the glow and magic of fireworks on the fourth of July, but the meaning behind our freedom is something we as parents can pass along to our children through learning about our great country. We have a few products in store that can aid in making American history an exciting subject.
Summer is here and it’s time to pack the bags and head off to camp! Don’t get stuck with last minute shopping, and definitely don’t overspend on all the clothes and gear that will make your child’s time away a blast. Below are items we carry in store to help you on your way to camp! Continue reading
Picture taken by Panda Pancakes
Happy Mother’s Day this weekend to all of our moms out there!
We know if you are a mom you are weary from taking care of everyone’s needs. We at Duck Worth Wearing are preparing to give one lucky mom a prize package to help her pick up and carry on with the most important job in the world!
Do you know a special mom in your life that deserves a little recognition? Maybe it’s your own mom or a neighbor you see working wonders with her little tots.
Submit a short 250 words or less statement or even a picture with just a few words to tell us why the mom in your life deserves to be pampered. This can come from all ages so get the kids involved! With your submission she will be entered in our contest to win a prize package filled with great products from local shops on Main Street!
The package includes:
- $50 gift certificate to buy her kids items at Duck Worth Wearing
- $50 gift certificate to buy a little something for herself at The Loft
- A Smash box make up treat From The Salon
- $10 gift card for a warm cup of coffee at Cafe Diem
- $10 gift card from Chocolaterie Stams in Ames for some tasty chocolates.
Submissions are due by Monday, May 24th and the winner will be announced on May 30th via our Facebook page. Like and follow Duck Worth Wearing on Facebook to see the results! There will be only one winner.
Here is how you can enter:
- Submit your entry by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject the e-mail Mom Contest
- Attach your images or written submission describing why this mom deserves recognition.
- Include your name and the nominee’s name in the body of the email.
A special thank you to the Main Street Businesses teaming up with us to celebrate moms!
During the winter months it is easy for kids to get engrossed in technology when they can’t get outside. That makes it all the more important when spring time rolls around to be able to get everyone out of the house to enjoy the sunshine. Here are a few ideas on how to get those little people out and about and into the garden for some quality time with nature!