Eric & Amy Abrams – Store Owners
When shopping at local businesses Duck Worth Wearing and The Loft, you’ll find a few themes worth noting. The stores are not only a place for shoppers to save money, they are a thriving place of employment, and to top it all off, sustainably designed. These consignment shops were born from the laughter and love of one family out to 40,000 people who have visited The Loft and Duck Worth Wearing – Ames and Duck Worth Wearing – Ankeny since its first store’s opening in 2000.
We made a short video to take you down memory lane up to the present day where we have opened yet another location in the Ankeny Community.
Duck Worth Wearing Ankeny location opened in the fall of 2016.
Duck Worth Wearing Ames Location
The Loft current location exterior
The stores has been on a journey of change and growth for the past decade and have plans to continue to serve the Ames and Ankeny communities. Amy and Eric love consignment because it allows them to share their desire of helping others save money and recycle. These are stores run by families to serve families and they can’t wait to see what the future holds for them and their customers and staff. Look below for a virtual tour by clicking on the following links…
Duck Worth Wearing Ames – Virtual Tour
The Loft Virtual Tour
Duck Worth Wearing Ankeny – Virtual Tour
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged Amy & Eric Abrams, Consignment, duck worth wearing, Historical, History, Maternity, recycle, shopping, sustainable, the loft, Timeline
Holidays are full of customs and you may or may not be familiar with one of the most treasured traditions, the Nutcracker ballet. If you’ve never been, you should consider adding this event to your holiday repertoire. We want to share all of the know how on how to find your local nutcracker, etiquette in the theatre, and dressing up with our low price, high quality holiday attire! We also have some special presents to give to your guests to keep the magic of the Nutcracker going for years to come.
Eggnog lattes, sparkling lights, and holiday cheer are upon us! Duck Worth Wearing will make your holiday shopping simple and fun. With our two locations in Ames and Ankeny you can double your finds for all the good boys and girls on your list. You won’t believe how much time and money we will save you. This season we have our shelves lined with gently used toys, new 18″doll clothes, Melissa & Doug toys and creative activities, and toys for every age and interest. Come join us in making your holidays bright!
Posted in Parents, Toys, Uncategorized
Tagged ames, Ankeny, Consignment, holiday, holiday crafts, holiday deals, Iowa, Melissa & Doug, stocking stuffers, Teething, toys, winter gear
The leaves are falling, your kids have picked out their costumes from the huge selection of new and used costumes at Duck Worth Wearing. The last thing you need to do is carve the pumpkins you picked out from a local patch. Carving a pumpkin can be messy, dangerous, and time consuming. Here are some fun, safe, and unique ways to decorate a pumpkin without carving! You can get the littlest ghouls involved in any of these activities.
Are you planning your Halloween costume now? Why not let your American Girl sized dolls tag along and get her some gear too! Duck Worth Wearing has so many different outfits and accessories to bring your doll’s personality to life!
It’s hard to believe that we are already packing up bags and headed back to a regular school routine! As classes get back into full swing, we wanted to share five life lessons to help kids get off to a smooth transition back to school.
- Find and Treasure Time: Make time for activities that bring you joy when the work gets overwhelming. Whether that’s coloring some of our new puzzles, reading, or playing legos, spending twenty minutes doing something that brings your child happiness each day can help relieve otherwise chronic stress.
- Patience is key: In our ever evolving world, kids are used to instant gratification by the quick response of technology. Keeping a good book tucked away in your kids backpack gives them a fun and educational activity to keep them occupied and engaged when having to be patient.
- A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned: Teaching kids to save their hard earned money helps them to make smarter financial decisions when they get older! Melissa & Doug has a useful “Decorate Your Own Piggy Bank.” to help you do just that. Not only is this product a fun art project, but it’s the perfect spring board to talk to your child about the importance of saving money.
- Cultivating Creativity: Problem solving is an essential skill that will help children grow into productive and creative adults. Help your child explore their imagination and creativity with some arts and crafts, play kitchen set, or outdoor toys. This month Melissa & Doug’s Sunny Patch line is 30% off at Duck Worth Wearing. Offer ends August 31st, 2016.
5. It’s Okay to be You: It’s easy when in the school atmosphere to feel the pressure to be just like everybody else. Encourage your child’s personality by helping them confidently make choices that express their individual giftedness while also making sure they are kind to those who show up to school who may also be as wonderfully unique as they are. Whether that’s through a funky pair of leggings, some socks with a taco print, or a shirt sporting a dinosaur. Perhaps picking up a card craft kit to make another child’s first day easier might help to encourage friendship. There are a lot of ways to be yourself, show kindness, and encourage the gift of individuality.
There are a lot of great tips for getting the school year off to a good start, but because we know how busy this time of year is we wanted to share our simple and important five. Stop in and we’ll help you find all the goodies and more featured above. Have a great start to your back to school adventure!